To facilitate access to the Data Analytics Center services and empower researchers to advance their research, we offer the Analytics Resource Awards.
The focus of the proposal should be projects that
i) involve data-intensive research, where the data can be text, images, videos, business data, genomic data, senosr data, geospatial data, etc., and
ii) demonstrate potential for future, external funding.
Initially, DAC will offer small awards (up to $10,000 worth of services). At a later date, we will announce opportunities for larger awards.
Recipients of the Awards will receive vouchers that may be used toward the Data Analytics Center services, such as the collaboration of DAC team members of the leasing of storage space.
Applications for small awards will be reviewed on a rolling basis with the aim of seamlessly moving forward with proposed projects.
Eligibility: The principal investigator must hold faculty status at UVA to be eligible for an Analytics Research Award.
Funding Limit: Although the awards will be in the form of vouchers, the use of the voucher may not exceed $10,000.
Maximum Proposal Duration: 18 months
Approved Activities: The activities in the proposal should be related to the acquisition, storage, or analysis of data as it relates to a research project.
New Early Submission:
To get access to the DAC services before 2024, we have just created an earlier submission deadline: 13 Nov. 2023. The review process will be expedited so that the vouchers can be distributed on 15 Dec.
Timelines for 2024:
|8 Jan. 2024
||5 Feb. 2024
||1 Mar. 2024
|8 Apr. 2024
||6 May 2024
||1 Jun. 2024
|8 Jul. 2024
||5 Aug. 2024
||1 Sep. 2024
|7 Oct. 2024
||4 Nov. 2024
||1 Dec. 2024
: To apply for the Analytics Research Award, the PI will submit a proposal (2 pages maximum, Calibri 11 pt. font) that includes:
- The PI’s name, computing ID, and department,
- A title for the project,
- A description of the project and its goals,
- A description of the type(s) of data collected for the project and how the data will be used to meet the goals of the project,
- A description of how the Analytics Research Award will support the goals of the project, including the use of vouchers to obtain services,
- A plan for how the Analytics Research Award will lead to future support for this or subsequent projects.
- An attachment with a budget showing the services and expected costs that the Award would cover. The attachment will not count toward the two-page limit.
Submission Process: A cover letter for the proposal will be emailed to RC-DAC@virginia.edu. The subject line for the email will be “Analytics Resource Proposal”. Your proposal, in PDF format, will be attached to the email.
We encourage you to follow these instructions precisely to ensure that your proposal is received and processed correctly. After your email is received, we will secure a copy of your proposal and review that copy. We will not consider any changes that you make to the proposal after we have received it.
Evaluation Criteria: The proposals will be evaluated on:
- The completeness of the submission,
- The clarity of the descriptions – the reviewers may not be familiar with the PI’s discipline,
- The diversity of the data,
- How this Award will advance your research.
After the Awards recipients have been announced, the Data Analytics Center will work with the PI to determine the disbursement of the Award vouchers.
Publicity & Communication
- The PI must acknowledge Research Computing in any publication, presentation, or poster that results from the work done on the Award.
- At the end of the Award, the PI must agree to have a blurb about the research project posted on the Research Computing website